Thursday, April 10, 2008

Generation Gap

Ok, so yesterday Jared came up to me with a look of incredulity and awe in his eyes... And he said" Mom, things are SO different now than they were in the 90's!!!" I had to smile.....But in the eyes of an 8 year old....I guess the 90's WERE a long time ago! Even though he was talking about things like automatic sliding van doors, and Lauren and Sandy's "neat microwave" that has a fan that tilts out when turned on, it caused me to reflect a bit on the 90's.....
Yes, Jared, in the 90's we were newlyweds....now we'll be married 18 years this year....
In the 90's we had tots and thought the crying in the night would never end....now we have a 12 year old and we are desperately trying to hold on to the years.
In the early 90's we were adjusting to early adulthood...now we are classed as middle-aged....
In the 90's we had no idea how rich we would be in 2008....rich in love, rich in family, rich in friends....Yep, the 90's was great, but 2008 is even better!

3 comments:

parose said...

You're comments on the passing of time sure hit home to me. Take a look at my most recent postings on my blog. Our family grew up so fast! Where does the time go? I'm glad I put everything I had into enjoying them when they were young. You are obviously doing that too. The bonus of them growing up is the prospect of grandchildren. We sure do love ours.

Alison said...

This was a great post! It made me chuckle. I remember meeting you at K and L wedding in 1998 I think. And that does seem like so long ago now with ALL that has happened since then. Our kids never knew the nineties and will some day make fun of us, I'm sure, for the wierd styles and things we did then! *wink*

Anonymous said...

Well put, Elaine! Enjoy every minute you can of having your kids still young & at home with you =) Those moments are irreplaceable & they fly by so fast.

It was so nice seeing you last week & catching up, for a few minutes anyway, with your family...even tho' Byron never woke up & Jared was beyond tired =) Wish it could have been longer, but maybe next time.

And BTW this is me, J, S & B's gramma, but of course you knew that!